A rural exposure programme to Gumlapur in Kolar district was organized by the department on 4 February 2020 to provide an opportunity for the students to get exposed to the rural environment and also gain practical skills.
Objectives of the programme:
· To conduct an observational assessment of how the rural government high schools are up to their standard of education.
· To create awareness about various issues like renewable sources of energy, deforestation, health and hygiene, Swach Bharath, need and scope for higher education.
· Charts on various related topics
· Static models
· Educative games
· Distribution of books and other stationary items
· Plantation for environmental restoration awareness
The activities were conducted by the II year MSc students in the Govt. High School, Gumlapura, Mulbagal Taluk, Kolar district. The class of 52 was divided into four different teams to look after different aspects of the trip. Namely, awareness about solar, wind and bio-mass energy, scope & aspects of higher education, importance of health, hygiene and sanitation, deforestation, rainwater harvesting. All the activities were monitored and guided by the faculty members of the department, Dr. K T Paul, Dr. Ashoka N V, Dr. Manoj B, Dr. Christie, Dr. Pinkie. The students enjoyed by interacting with students in the school and motivated them to continue their education and achieve their goals.
It was a fruitful visit and it also gave a satisfaction to the students for being a part of village community especially the school children. The team wishes to thank the management for providing such an opportunity to experience the village life and develop the feeling of responsibility in contributing to the rural society.